Thursday, May 19, 2005

Rabbi Adlerstein's Clarification

Rabbi Adlerstein writes the following on Cross-Currents, in reference to his review of FrumTeens in Jewish Action (emphasis added):

I find Frumteens hashkafic pronouncements odious and repugnant. When I interviewed the mysterious Moderator, I told him that I would have to point out in print that our readers myself included reject his views. I made good on that promise.


The mistake which people made (for which I have to take some responsibility) is seeing the article as some sort of endorsement of the Frumteens site, or of Mr. Frumteens. I thought I had made it abundantly clear that the site was valuable in giving parents a glimpse into the world of troubled teens. I continue to believe that many parents are in denial about what is happening in our community, and that hearing first person accounts might give some of them a jump-start into getting more involved. I have no reason to doubt that Frumteens provides a rare window into a little-understood world.


The review did not recommend Frumteens as a place that kids should go. (It really couldnt. The readership of Jewish Action is overwhelmingly Modern Orthodox; Frumteens is geared almost exclusively to the right.) It did explain how the site attempts to help kids, and by the accounts that several of the people in the Jewish Action heard, Frumteens does do much good. I dont see why that should be taken away from it, even if other parts of the same site spew the most contemptible venom.


Click here to read his entire article, and the interesting comments that follow.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could things have gotten so twisted to the point where teens actually reference the article as the basis for visiting the frumteens site?

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, okay. Now I understand why I've never seen this JA magazine.

Being that the writer of the article disagrees with the Moderator's views to the extent that he calls them odious and repugnant, I'm not so sure I would trust what he has to say on the Moderator's semichah or lack of it.

In addition, I find it hard to understand someone who would go to the trouble of finding and interviewing the Moderator when he does not even support his views. Perhaps any lying that is going on is going on with Rabbi Adlerstein, whoever he is, not the Moderator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home